IT AND OLYMPICS CLUB
The students from this club have achieved great success thanks to the facilities at the Galatasaray High School İnan Kıraç Information Processing Center, particularly since the establishment of the Computer Club, which has helped continue their success. The club members take part in national and international projects and aim to transfer their know-how and experience to younger generations in the future.
Members of the Computer Club attend the TÜBİTAK National Science Olympics and prepare projects for the TÜBİTAK Project contest. Members have also been teaching programming and design classes since the establishment of the club. The Computer Club is also an essential supporter of other clubs in the high school.
The club established the first website for Galatasaray High School in 1998, in collaboration with the İnan Kıraç Information Processing Center. Since 1998, the club has continued to work on innovative projects. All facets of the website are regularly updated by members of the club.
The main principle of the Computer Club is to boost the creativity and productivity of Galatasaray High School students and guide them toward finding the best way to develop their talent. Like other student clubs, the interests of the institution are always given the highest priority. Members conduct their activities with this principle in mind.
Awards received by members in the 2013–2014 academic years:
1. Gold medal in the International GENIUS Olympics. NEW YORK (AA): Kemal Sedat Ceyhan won the gold medal in the design category, taking first place out of 57 countries.
2. First place in the Engineering category at the third DOESEF (Doğanata Education Science, Energy, Engineering, Project Fair) Research Project competition.
Project Name : Microfluidic Channels and cell division
Student : Arda BOĞA
Advisor : Necla Şükran GERÇEKER
Awards received by members in the 2012–2013 academic years:
1. A team comprising Özgür Can Eren, Onat Arısoy, and Ekin Dursun won first place out of 23 schools in the 7th Science Pentathlon, organized by FMV Özel Ayazağa Işık High School.
2. A team consisting of Berat Şen, Elçin Bahçeci, Ece Taşan, and Kemal Furkan Kaldırımoğlu won first place in Istanbul out of 10 schools and 400 students at the BEST Engineering Competition for High Schools, organized by Yıldız Technical University.
A team consisting of Merve Akyol, İrem Özmen, Batuhan Aksoy, Nazif Can Akcalı, and Yiğit Can Alparslan won the national third place in the Tourism category among 690 projects at the High School Students Entrepreneurship and Innovation Competition, organized in 2013 by TÜBİTAK Scientist Endorsement Directorate.
Awards received by members in the 2011–2012 academic years:
1. Members participated in the TÜBİTAK 2012 Research Project Competition for Secondary Schools in the Computer category, with their “Frequency Measuring and Music Instrument Tuning through Fourier Transform” project.
2. Can GÜLER from 12 Fen class won the bronze medal in the Computer category at the 19th TÜBİTAK National Science Olympics.
3. Winners of the “2012 Champion Project and Collective Work” award at the 9th International ICT Seagulls Project Competition.
Awards received by members in the 2010–2011 academic years:
Can GÜLER won third place in the Computer Category for the Marmara Region at the 19th National Science Olympics, First Stage Exams.
Can GÜLER and Emirhan GÜRPINAR, two students from 11 Fen class, received offers to take part in the Summer School and Second Stage Exams at the 19th TÜBİTAK National Science Olympics in 2011.
At the world cup final of the International InfoMATRIX Computer Project Competition, Yağızhan GÜLER won the gold medal, Orçun GÜMÜŞ and Ahmet BAĞLAN won the bronze medal for the programming category, and Can GÜLER received the bronze medal in the robotics category.
Ahmet Alperen AKÇAY, İzgecan GÜNAL, and Orçun GÜMÜŞ passed the First Stage exam at the 3rd Istanbul Science Olympics, in the Computer Category.
Winners of the second place from the Istanbul European Side in the Computer category, at the TÜBİTAK-BİDEB Secondary School Research Projects Competition in 2011.
Awards received by members in the 2009–2010 academic years:
Can GÜLER (10FNA–32) and Emirhan GÜRPINAR (10FNB–35) were offered placements to participate in the Second Stage Exam at the TÜBİTAK 18th National Computer Olympics.
Emirhan GÜRPINAR (10FNB–35) was offered a placement to attend the Summer School at the TÜBİTAK 18th National Computer Olympics.
Winners of first place in the Computer category in Istanbul European Side region at the TÜBİTAK-BİDEB Research Project Competition for Secondary School Students, on March 26, 2010.
The students who worked on the project were: Orçun Gümüş (10FNB–642) and Ahmet Bağlan (10FNA–550). Advisor: N. Şükran Gerçeker.
Winners of national first place in the Computer category at the finals of TÜBİTAK-BİDEB Secondary School Students Research Project Competition on May 4, 2010.
Training for TÜBİTAK Science Olympics First Stage Exams took place in the IT classroom between September 24 and April 22, 2010 between 15:30–19:30 on Mondays and 17:30–19:30 on Tuesdays.
Winners of first place in the Mini Sumo category at the SAURO 2010 – Sakarya University 2nd National Robot Competition on April 3 and 4, 2010.
Awards received by members in the 2008–2009 academic years:
1. Gold medal in the 24th Mostratec International Project Olympics, held in Brazil between October 26 and 31, 2009.
Participation in the 24th Mostratec International Project Olympics, organized by the science institution Liberato in Novo Hamburgo, Brazil with the team’s “Neural Networks and Global Warming” project.
MOSTRATEC aims to showcase scientific and technological research projects on various science branches in higher education by tertiary education students.
2. The “Neural networks and global warming” project jointly developed by Arman UYGUR (11FNA) and Orçun GÜMÜŞ (9A), under the supervision of their instructor, N. Şükran GERÇEKER, was selected for exhibition at the TÜBİTAK Secondary School Students Research Project Competition. The exhibition was held on April 7 and 9.
3. Students Can Güler and İzgecan Günal were offered placements to attend the second stage exam and the summer school at TÜBİTAK‘s 17th National Computer Olympics.
4. Participation in the METU International Robotics Days on March 7 and 8, 2009 in the line follower category.
Students who took part in the competition:
Arman Uygur – 11 FNA–246
Denizhan Tutar – 10FNA–147
Can Güler – 9 A–32
Emirhan Gürpınar – 9 D–35
5. Can Güler (9 A–32), won first and third prizes in the Mini Sumo Category at the “National Robotics Competition” for Universities, High Schools, and Tertiary and Technical High Schools, organized by Sakarya University on May 7, 2009. He attended the competition with four different mini sumos.
Awards received by members in 2007–2008 academic year:
1. Ayberk ÖZGÜR (11FNA–425) won the bronze medal in the Computer category at the 15th TÜBİTAK National Science Olympics.
2. “Handwriting number recognition” project, jointly developed by Ayberk ÖZGÜR (11FNA–425) and Kübra BUĞDAYLI (11FNC–545), was selected for exhibition at the TÜBİTAK Secondary School Students Research Projects Competition in the Computer category. The exhibition took place at Istanbul University’s Beyazıt Campus on April 15–17.
3. Ömer Ali Acerol (11FNC–57) won second place in the High School Computer Clubs project competition organized by the Istanbul Bilgi University’s Computer Science department.
Computer Club weekly course schedule for 2007–2008 academic year:
Monday 13:20–13:50 HTML and Web Design Class (Hasan Can Saral-11FenB)
Tuesday 13:20–13:50 Photoshop class (Barış Çelik-12EdA)
Wednesday 13:20–17:00 TÜBİTAK Research Project Training
Thursday 13:20–13:50 After Effects (Ayberk Özgür-11FenA)
Friday 13:20–13:50 Rhino Class (Çağhan Çeşmeci)
YAVUZ CAN ASLAN and MURAT AYDOGAN won the regional championship in Marmara and third place at the national level (no contender was found worthy of first prize) in the Computer category, at the 2006–2007 TÜBİTAK High School Students Research Project Competition. They were also awarded the Galatasaray High School Feza Gürsey Science-Research Prize.
AYBERK ÖZGÜR, won the bronze medal in the Computer category at the 14th TÜBİTAK National Science Olympics.
HÜSEYIN ALP GÜRKAN won the regional championship in Marmara and second place at national level (no contender was found worthy of first prize) in the Computer category, at the 2005–2006 TÜBİTAK High School Students Research Project Competition.
Achievements at the 57th Intel ISEF in 2006: Alp GÜRKAN, from 12 Fen-A class, participated in the 57th Intel ISEF with the TÜBİTAK national team and won the Association for Computing Machinery special prize. ISEF is one of the world’s greatest pre-college science and engineering projects competition. Held in Indianapolis, USA with over 1,500 finalists participating, from 47 countries.
Hüseyin Alp GÜRKAN won first place in the Marmara Region in Computer category at the 2004–2005 TÜBİTAK High School Students Research Project Competition. He also won second place in TÜBİTAK National Research Projects. He was awarded the Galatasaray High School Feza Gürsey Science-Research Prize for his achievements
Ocan SANKUR won first place in the Computer category at the TÜBİTAK Research Projects Competition in 2003–2004. He also won third place at INTEL ISEF, the world’s largest pre-college research project competition, held in Arizona, USA, the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) special prize and third place at the 16th European Young Scientists Competition in Computer category, with software that he designed. His software also received the Munich European Patent Office special award. He was awarded the Galatasaray High School Abdurrahman Şeref High Achievement Prize.